I have met a lot of people in my life whilst travelling. I have traveled to the United Kingdom and lived there for a long while, then moved to Australia. During the travelling and settling down, I developed lots of friendships. Although adjusting was tough, it was always good to have a friend(s) to spent time with and just have fun.
I feel extremely grateful for the friendships I made back then and still have now. I have learnt that friends come and go, but those who stay are the ones you can trust and rely on. I think that to develop good friendships, one must learn to do the following, (this is from my experience):
1. Take time to get to know one another. To develop a stronger friendship in a deeper level, I think that taking the time to get to know someone is great. You get to understand them more and find out what you both have in common and what you don’t have in common.
2. Go on adventures. Spend some time with each other doing some fun things like travelling to a new town or place, or going to a park and just chilling. Sometimes, the most simplest of times, make good memories.
3. Care for each other. Whenever your friend gets hurt, she will need a shoulder to cry on, or even just a hug. Everyone needs a friend when going through their darkest/toughest times.
4. Effort from both sides. When developing a strong friendship, both of you must take the time to contact each other. It shouldn’t just be a one way street.
5. Keep in touch. Even when you both live so far away, or near by and are too busy with life, don’t forget to keep each other updated. Best friends always have things to talk about no matter what.
“You can count on true friends on one hand. They provide some of our best memories. The real joy of friendship is when you give. To make a friend, give someone your friendship. They will reciprocate. Treasure your friends” – Patrick Lindsay
Everyone needs a friend. Even if it’s just one. What’s important is to have someone who you can be yourself to and just have fun together. A good friend should bring out the best in you and make you a better person. I know that I’ll cherish my friends forever. I’m glad to have good friends I’ve made throughout the years and I wouldn’t have it any other way.